Monday, October 18, 2010

The Biggest Plays in Sports Business

Check out this video about the Biggest Plays in the last Decade of Sports.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1368367744
(here is the link because the embed code was not working for some reason.)

There are many things that happened in the last 10 years of sports. From Tiger Woods generating lots of funds for PGA to Under Armour creating loads of revenue from the explosion of their products. Some companies did not do so well, such as Adidas and Reebok. They combined and sales decreased. I thought this was interesting because I learned that combining companies was not necessarily a good idea because sales would go down. My thinking was that it was not true, but here is a good example of that. Then there was the Spalding basketball that was detrimental to players.

Another company that was discussed is the Fantasy Football League. Who knew that the world of Fantasy Football was so big. It is a business in itself. Men and women alike are ready each August to get the ball rollin’…so to speak. Statistics are tallied, injuries are reported, rookies are studied. What makes the sport so big?

I work with some coaches who play the “game”. I think maybe they do it to educate themselves so that they can get the best out of the athletes. They could also do it to get away from the high school realm of the game. Get a chance to feel like they are apart of the big time. Then, of course, there is the money thing. If I worked that hard to create a good team, I would make sure I was winning the cash as well. As one of the articles below states, the Fantasy Sports Industry brings in approximately $800 million dollars annually. WOW!!

Fantasy Football is not an easy feet though. GMs (General Managers) have to make sure their teams are set. They have to make sure the studying gets done so the team can perform at its best. If you don’t play your numbers right, you would not be successful.

Fantasy Football has also increased the numbers of sales for other venues. This includes mainly the TV attraction. Many stations have created TV shows specifically for the Fantasy Football League. One specifically would be ESPN’s Sports center Fantasy Draft Special held annually. Households and viewers numbers increased in the high teens this year compared to 2008 numbers.

Here are two articles that I gathered information from and that include more information about the Fantasy Football growth. Check them out.

http://lax-magazine.com/2010/01/30/fantasy-football/

http://blackathlete.net/artman2/publish/Football_7/BASN_s_2009_Fantasy_Football_Guide.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment